Who We Are
Since 2012, Raw Essence has been offering natural oil soaps, made from scratch using the traditional cold-process method as well as the hot-process method.
Our handcrafted soaps are made of simple, wholesome ingredients that are good for your skin, making them a safe and healthy choice for your entire family. The ingredients in our soaps come from natural plant-based sources such as vegetables, nuts, fruits, and herbs. Many of the ingredients used in our "soap kitchen" are the same healthy ingredients that you cook with in your kitchen at home; like pure olive oil, organic coconut oil, whole grain oatmeal, honey, and fragrant spices.
Our Basic Soap Recipe consists of the following skin loving oils:
- Olive Oil - It makes the soap very moisturizing. Olive oil has the ability to trap moisture and hold it close to the skin without clogging pores. By holding the moisture close to the skin it helps to heal dry, irritated skin. Although olive oil stays close on the skin it never leaves your skin oily.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil is added for its skin healing benefits and also to produce a hard bar but mostly for the luxurious lather it creates.
- Palm Oil - Palm oil is also good for skin but its most important attribute to the soap is that it creates a very hard long lasting bar of soap.
- Castor Oil - Castor oil is easily absorbed by the skin making it a great skin softener and conditioner. It will produce a stable lather in handmade soap
- Water - We use distilled water in all of our soap. It ensures that each batch turns out with no surprises due to minerals and other elements in other waters or tap water.
- Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) - Yes, we must use Lye or it is not SOAP! Lye is the least percentage of the soap mixture, excluding fragrance oils or color. It reacts with the oils in the saponification (soap making) process to make soap. If it is not made with lye it is not soap. The lye is not harmful once it is made into soap. The oils are acidic and the lye is alkaline. In the process of the stirring of the oils and lye and water together the bonding takes place that causes the harshness of the ingredients alone, become mild and non-caustic.
Some of our soaps may also contain:
- Natural Soap Botanicals and Exfoliants - Any type of ground botanical added to our soaps, whether pine needles or poppy seeds, colloidal oatmeal, or medicinal herbs, is included within the description. If no botanical is listed in a soap description, you can assume that the soap is smooth in texture with no exfoliant added. Botanicals, whether whole or ground, are considered natural soap ingredients.